Founded in 1930, the Junior League of Rockford, Inc. (JLR) is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving our community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
From all generations, all walks of life, we are bound by a single goal: to help alleviate poverty for women and children in the Rockford area.
The Junior League of Rockford, Inc. reaches out to women of all races, religions and national origins who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to voluntarism. Each member brings a unique perspective to our organization and enriches our league.
We have a diverse group of 186 women, including active members and sustainers, who give their time to further JLR’s projects and mission.
Here is a snapshot of our active members:
- All ages
- Are business owners, working mothers, professional women, and stay-at-home moms
- Serve on numerous boards and committees throughout our community
- Must be at least 21 years of age. There is no upper age limit.
- Must work or reside within Winnebago County or the surrounding area.
- Demonstrate an interest in voluntarism and a commitment to community service.
- Show an interest in developing your potential for voluntary community participation.
- Attend monthly general membership meetings held the 3rd Tuesday of each month between September to May from 6:30-8:00pm at at Giovanni’s, 610 N Bell School Rd.
- Attend new member training events scheduled throughout the fall and early spring.
- Work with other new members to organize a group project to help the community.
- New members can participate in committees the first year if they want to jump right in.
- Fill out an application and pay $150 dues or request a dues scholarship or alternate payment arrangement.
Second Year and Beyond
- Attend at least 6 of the 9 monthly general membership meetings held the third Tuesday of each month between September to May from 6:30-8:00pm at Giovanni’s, 610 N Bell School Rd.
- Participate in a committee
- Pay $150 yearly dues by April 1st each year or request a dues scholarship or alternate payment arrangement.
- Volunteer for 10 hours during the year for our STEM Project
- Raise $200 in Fundraiser Ticket Sales
- Volunteer 10 total hours to prepare for and staff the annual Fundraiser
*** We understand that members cannot always meet all membership attendance and volunteer requirements. Life happens. We can work with you to make the Junior League of Rockford fit into your life.
WHY JOIN JLR?
- Make Friends
- Improve the community
- Learn new skills
- Leadership opportunities
PROCESS TO BECOME A MEMBER
May to September: Optional new member recruitment events are held during the Summer and Fall. These events are a chance to meet active league members and learn more about JLR.
September to May: New members attend general membership meetings, trainings, and work on a new member group project.
Anytime: Complete the Membership Interest Form to get updates about new member events.
-25% discount to members who join from December 1st – January 31st
-50% discount to members who join from February 1st – March 31st
-Dues waived for members who join from April 1st – May 31st
-If you join after our new member trainings have already taken place for the year, you can start attending meetings but will begin your training with the following years class. You will only become an active member after you complete the new member trainings.
New Member Events:
New Member Trainings
- October 5, 2019
- February 8, 2020
- March 7, 2020
Time: 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Location: Headquarters, 4118 Pinecrest Road,
Rockford, IL 61107
Friendsgiving Volunteer Event and Lunch
Date: November 16, 2019
Time: 8:30am-12:30pm- Northern Illinois Food Bank Volunteering
1:00pm-2:30pm- Brunch- Location TBD
New Member/Sustainer Christmas Party
Date: TBD in Fall 2019
Invitation to follow
New Member Project
Date and Activity: TBD by the New Member Group
New Member Development Contact Information
Kira Devin, Chair
Caroline Cascio, Vice Chair
If you want to get an idea of what Junior League is about, contact us for upcoming events so that you can come to a meeting or event!